Magic “Alsihr” and the evils that follow is one of the great dangers that corrupt societies, divide families, and introduce affliction and disease to people, therefore, people must understand its truth, know its dangers, and fear its evil. So that someone who is ignorant of his rule does not fall into his action. Women are the most people who infatuated with magic and do it most, because of her ignorance of his ruling. A woman may do magic to another woman without knowing that it is disbelief and paganism.
Allah Almighty said:” Wa min sharrin-naffaathaati
fil-'uqad” “And from the evil of the blowers in knots”,
Mujahid, Ikrimah, Al-Hassan, Qatada, and Al-Dhahak said in its interpretation, it means "Al-Sawahir" "witches". This does not mean contempt and slander for women, as there are so many good women.
- These are brief words about magic and the rulings and cautions related to it:
- Definition of magic:
Magic is something whose cause is hidden. It is: “written on paper, medicines, and "tadkhinat" making smoke, and words he says or writes, and it has a real effect on the body, heart, or mind of the enchanted and its influence cannot be achieved without the will of God.
- Ruling on magic and the ruling on learning it:
Magic is forbidden in all the injunctions of the Messengers- peace be upon them- and it is one of the things that corrupts Islam. Allah Almighty said:” wama yuealliman min 'ahad hatta yaqula 'innama nahn fitnat fala takfur” (albqrat :102) .” But they [i.e., the two angels] do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]."
And in “Hadith” The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Avoid the seven destructive things…” And he mentioned to Magic (Sihr) as one of them, narrated by Bukhari and Muslim.
Sheikh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah -may God have mercy on him- said:" Most of the scholars believe that the magician is an infidel, he must be killed, and it has been proven that the magician was killed as mentioned from Omar, Uthman and Hafsa - may God be pleased with them-" Majmoo 'Fataawa Ibn Taymiyyah 29/384.
- Ruling on repentance of the magician:
Sheikh Ibn Baz -may God have mercy on him- said:” The repentance between him and God is correct if he is sincere and benefits him with God. As for the legal ruling, he must be killed” Majmoo 'Fatwas of Sheikh Ibn Baz -May God have mercy on him- 8/111.
- Ruling on going to magicians and charlatans:
- First case: To believe in them, considering their saying, this is disbelief. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "He who goes to one who claims to tell about matters of the Unseen and believes in him, he has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad."It was narrated by Ahmad and al-Hakim and authenticated by al-Albani in Sahih al-Jami '(5939).
- The second case: Whoever goes to them and does not believe in them has committed a major sin, and his prayer for forty days is not acceptable, even though it is obligatory for him, and he has to repent from his work. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "He who goes to one who claims to tell about matters of the Unseen, his Salat (prayers) will not be accepted for forty days." narrated by Muslim.
- Ruling on Decipher magic from the enchanted:
If it was with Magic like it, then this is forbidden, and if it is with "Ruqyah" and authorized medicine, then this is permissible. See Fath al-Majeed 264.
- A Muslim's duty towards magicians and charlatans:
Beware of them, do not go to them and ask them about anything, do not believe them, and do not seek help from them, Immunization from their plots and deceit with legitimate Invocation, warn from them and report about them, defeat them, and clearing the truth of their matter and their delusion.
- Prevention and treatment methods:
- Renewal of faith in God and devotion to Him, trust in Him and always remembering him, and turn to Him with supplication and invocation, for it alone detects harm, glory be to Him.
- Frequent reading of the Holy Quran in general. Allah Mighty said,” wanunazzil min alquran ma hu shifa' warahmat lilmuminin wala yazid alzzalimin 'illa khasara” (al'isra':82). "And We send down of the Qur'an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss.".
- Read Surat Al-Fatiha frequently. In the“hadith”, the Prophet (ﷺ) said, "How did you come to know ‘that Suratul- Fatiha’ was recited as Ruqya?" agreed.
- Reading Surat Al-Baqarah. In the“hadith”, the Prophet (ﷺ) said," Recite Surah al-Baqara, for to take recourse to it is a blessing and to give it up is a cause of grief, and the magicians cannot confront it." narrated by Muslim. (‘Batala’ it means magicians).
- Reading Ayat al-Kursi. It was mentioned in ‘the hadith’, "Whenever you go to your bed, recite the Verse of "Al-Kursi"( allah la alh 'iilaa hu alhayu alqayuwm) (Surah Al-Baqarah: 255). “Allah. There is no god except He, the Living, the Everlasting”, until you finish the verse, for then a guardian from Allah will be guarding you, and Satan will not approach you till dawn." Narrated by Bukhari.
- Read the last two verses of Surat Al-Baqarah (285- 286). It was mentioned in the ‘hadith’," Anyone who recites the two verses at the end of Surah al-Baqara at night, they would suffice for him." Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim. Meaning of they would suffice for him, they would suffice for him from anything bad.
- Reading ( qul hu alllah 'ahad ), ( qul 'aeudh birabb alfalaqi) and ( qul 'aeudh birabb alnnas ) three times. It was mentioned in ‘the hadith’, “read ‘qul hu alllah 'ahad’ He is Allah, One, and ‘al-Mu'awwadhatan’ three times in the morning and evening; they will serve you for every purpose.” Sahih Al-Jami` (4406).
- The legal incantation 'Roqyah', and its controls. It was mentioned in ‘the hadith’,” There is no harm in the incantation which does not smack of polytheism. Narrated by Muslim.
- Preserving the prayers on time, and preserving the morning and evening Supplications.
- Submission to the commands of God Almighty moves away from His prohibitions, and initiate sincere repentance.
- Cleanse homes of crosses, statues, images of animate beings, and all evils.
- Eating seven 'Ajwa’- Kind of 'Madina' Date- every morning. It was mentioned in ‘the hadith’,” He who eats seven 'Ajwa dates every morning, will not be affected by poison or magic on the day he eats them."Agreed. Sheikh Ibn Baz, may God have mercy on him, said: “It is hoped that God will benefit you with the rest of the dates if you eat seven dates every morning.” Fatwas of Sheikh Ibn Baz 8/109.
- Drinking ‘Zamzam’ water and washing with it. It was mentioned in ‘the hadith’,” It is blessed (water) and it also serves as food, and a healing which leaves no illness behind.” Sahih Al-Jami` (2435), and in the other ‘hadith’, The water of Zamzam is for whatever it is drunk for.” Sahih Al-Jami` (5502).
- The use of Nigella seed. It was mentioned in ‘the hadith’,” Nigella seed is a remedy for every disease except death.” Agreed.
- Searching for what the magician did and destroying it, thus nullifying the magic, by God Almighty willing. See the “Majmoo’ Fatawi” of Sheikh Ibn Baz -May God have mercy on him- 8/114.
- Take seven leaves of green 'Sidr' -Ziziphus jujuba-and pound them with a stone or something similar, then put it in a bowl and pour enough water on it, recite the legal supplications on it, then drink from it and wash with it. See the “Majmoo’ Fatawi” of Sheikh Ibn Baz -May God have mercy on him-8/165-.
- Know that only what God has decreed for you will happen to you. Allah Mighty said, “qul lan yusibana 'illa ma katab alllah lana hu mawlana waealaa alllah falyatawakkal almuminun “(Say, "Never will we be struck except by what Allāh has decreed for us; He is our protector." And upon Allāh let the believers rely.). (Altawbat :51).
- It is Sunnah for a Muslim to say if he suffers a calamity in himself or otherwise, 'Innaa lillaahi wa 'innaa 'ilayhi raaji'oon’ “We are from Allah and unto Him we return”.
- What happens to a Muslim is because of his sins and his distance from God. Allah Mighty said,’wama 'asabakum min musibat fabima kasabat 'aydikum wayaefu ean kathir’ “And whatever strikes you of disaster - it is for what your hands have earned; but He pardons much.”(Alshuwraa: 30), and it may be a test, an affliction, and get rid of sins.
- The cure is in the hands of God Almighty, and He alone is who can cure. Allah Mighty said,’ w 'iidha maridۡt fahu yashۡfin’ “And when I am ill, it is He who cures me”. (Alshera':80).
- It is Preferred for the Muslim to perform “Ruqyah” to himself. Because that means severe attachment to God and resort to Him.
- Causes may combine, but the cure does not occur. Because above all these causes, there is the will of God Almighty, so he is the cause, and if he wants something, then he tells it to be, then it is.
- The Muslim may be afflicted with something of that while being protected, especially when he is angry.
- Patience and expecting reward from Allah is among the most important reasons for curing, by God willing.
- Attention should be paid to the dangers of expatriate workers, including servants, drivers, and the like, and dispense with them whenever possible.
- It is from ‘Sunnah’ for the Muslim to seek Allah’s protection for his children. The Prophet (ﷺ) used to seek Allah's protection for Al-Hasan and Al-Husain by saying:'U'eethukumaa bikalimaatil-laahit-taammati min kulli shaytaanin wa haammatin, wa min kulli 'aynin laammatin.”I seek protection for you in the Perfect Words of Allah from every devil and every beast, and from every envious blameworthy eye.” Reference: Al-Bukhari 4/119.
- It is not permissible for a Muslim to harm his Muslim brother or to go to someone who causes harm to him.
- The guidelines for legal ‘Ruqyah’ : To be from the Holy Quran or from the Sunnah, And to be clear and free from Talismans and Mumblings.
- From the Specification magicians and charlatans that they ask about the patient’s name and the name of his mother, write some Talismans, and Mumbling with un understanding words, and order the patient to some prohibitions and polytheism.
- Whoever undertakes something of the forbidden actions, he must initiate sincere repentance and Intend not to repeat it, with remorse for what happened, and to make a lot of forgiveness and supplication to God and asked him for acceptance of repentance.